Aleksandra Zebeljan is currently a PhD student at the University of Belgrade, Faculty of Agriculture Department of Phytopathology, where she gained an MSc and BSc diploma in Phytomedicine (Plant Protection).
During undergraduate and graduate studies, she was mostly interested in Plant mycology and in different fungal control strategies, so she continued with PhD studies, where she has been working with different fungal species – severe pathogens of fruits and vegetables, but was mainly focused on Penicillium species.
A part of her PhD research, Aleksandra conducted at the Faculty of Agriculture and Lifesciences, University of Maribor, where she explored defence mechanisms of apple fruit against Penicillium species.
She enjoys working with the microscope, observing and identifying fungi upon their characteristics, but is also interested in working with fungi/bacteria that have a great potential for biological control, to develop more eco-friendly solutions in plant protection.
She loves being in nature and with animals, enjoys in the countryside, cultivating and protecting fruits and vegetables against major pests and pathogens.
- Plant-pathogen interaction
- Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology
- Biological control
Identification and characterization of fungal pathogens by morphological, biochemical, or molecular method (PCR, phylogeny). Evaluation of virulent potential of pathogens, statistical analysis, determination of metabolites content in infected apple fruit (HPLC), writing and publishing scientific articles.
- 2014- present / PhD studies at Departmant of Phytopathology, Institute of Phytomedicine, University of Belgrade, Faculty of Agriculture
Thesis title: “Blue mold decay on pome fruit in Serbia – causal agents and physiological changes that occur in infected apple fruit”
- 2013-2014 / Master of Agriculture in Phytomedicine (Plant Protection), University of Belgrade, Faculty of Agriculture
- 2009-2013 / Basic Academic studies in Phytomedicine (Plant Protection), University of Belgrade, Faculty of Agriculture
2014 nov.-2020 mar. / University of Belgrade, Faculty of Agriculture, Serbia, Laboratory of Postharvest Phytopathology.
- Laboratory work, conducting the experiments mostly regarding the fungal characterization
- Working with students on their thesis.
2016 oct.-2017 apr. / Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences, University of Maribor, Slovenia/ Laboratory of Botany and Plant Physiology
- Conducting the experiments regarding detection of metabolites content in infected apple fruit
- Working with students on their thesis
- Member of Plant Protection Society of Serbia