Dusan Sadikovic is a mycologist with an MSc in microbiology and a PhD in population genetics of fungal populations.
Dusan has performed his graduate studies at the Faculty of Science and Mathematics in Niš, Serbia, accented on mycology and microbiology. His graduate thesis was concentrated on the study of the antifungal activities of plant extracts.
Dusan has earned his PhD at the Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. There he has studied populations of three phytopathogenic fungal species which cause blights of pine trees.
Dusan has also participated in two short-term scientific missions with the Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute, University of Pretoria, South Africa, focused on population genetics of tree diseases.
Dusan is very passionate about everything fungi-connected and he is a member of several mycological and phytopathological societies. In his spare time, he is also an amateur nature photographer.
- Molecular Biology
- Invasive Biology
- Fungal Ecology
- Nature Conservation.
Nucleic acid isolation, PCR, microscopy, fungal taxonomy, phylogeny analysis, population analysis, statistical analysis, R studio, In Vitro antimicrobial testing, biology field work, other microbiological methods.
2013 – 2020 PhD in forest ecosystem managing
- University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical University,
Biosciences, Slovenian Forestry Institute
Supervised by Professor dr. Dušan Jurc & dr. Barbara Piškur
Thesis title: Population structure of causal agents of red band needle blight and brown spot needle blight of pines in selected areas of central and Southeastern Europe
2006 – 2012 MSc (equivalent) Research Biologist
- University of Niš, Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics,
Department for Biology and Ecology
Supervised by Professor dr. Tatjana Mihajilov-Krstev
Thesis title: Chemical composition and antifungal activities of essential oils of Satureja montana ssp. Montana
May 2016 – Sep 2016 Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute, Pretoria, South Africa (FABI)
- Short Term Scientific Mission
Microsatellite analysis of Slovenian Dothistroma pini populations
Jan 2015 – Feb 2015 Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute, Pretoria, South Africa (FABI)
- Short Term Scientific Mission
Microsatellite analysis of Slovenian Dothistroma septosporum populations
March 2014 – Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala
- Training School on Molecular Detection and Population Genetics of
Dothistroma Needle Blight Pathogens (COST Action FP1102)
2015 – 2018 Slovenian Forestry Institute, Department of Forest Protection
- Phytosanitary forest control laboratory duties
- Greenhouse duties
2011 – 2013 Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics in Niš – Microbiology subject demonstrator and professor’s aide
- Assisting/giving guidance to students carrying out practical exercises.
- Providing limited factual feedback and student liaison
- Laboratory management
2010 – 2010 Institute of Public Health, Nis, Serbia – Microbiology internship
- Intern biologist in the Water and Sewage testing laboratory
- American Phytopathological Society
- Mycological Society of Niš – founding member
- Mycological Association of Serbia (MGSS) – Mycological Determinator
- Aspergillus niger
- Aspergillus oryzae
- Aspergillus penicillioides
- Aspergillus sclerotiorum
- Cladosporium cladosporioides
- Deuteromycetes / Fungi Imperfecti
- ERMI Test
- Eurotium repens
- Mucor mucedo
- Orange Mold
- Paecilomyces variotii
- Penicillium brevicompactum
- Penicillium echinulatum
- Penicillium purpurogenum
- Rhizopus microsporus
- Rhizopus oligosporus